Friday, July 13, 2007

Who's a Lucky Girl Then?

I know I just said, not too much wedding stuff but I feel that it is occasionally a good idea to be unlike my usually taciturn self and just, y'know glow a bit....
So, just to whet my appetite (and plug the NZ tourism comission...for free...??), I'm going to take you on a brief tour of exactly what luvlies are about to take place as a direct result of my accidentally seducing Brett 5 years ago.


OK, stop number one. The Honeymoon. I have been told to completely ignore any worries I have (and they are legion) about Money and to choose what would make me happiest, so this lucky little girl and her big scary Jewish new husband will be staying at..

Lilianfells! 's OK all, the wedding party will be coming back with us for cocktails in the lounge by the open fire, and possibly dinner at 'Darley's'. I'm also getting a full spa treatment the next morning (Yay Yay Yay!!!) before heading off to...


Twin Falls bush cottages (Next to/2 minutes walk from Fitzroy Falls) for a luxurious week in the Southern Highlands. Horse-riding, vineyards, antiques, walking, great meals before an open fire, long conversations, a bit of nookie (maybe), planning what the hell we intend to do for the rest of our lives etc.


However, before all this wonderfulness takes place, I am being taken on a 2 week trip to the Land of the Long White Cloud for a pre-honeymoon holiday over Christmas. (No, Cam, we'll be here for Christmas, so I can finally make you a full Vegan roast with all the trimmings and some suitably decadent dessert:-)

So, on the 27th December we will hop onto our thankfully non-budget plane (I took Freedom Air last year and am still getting over the trauma) for Two nights in beautiful Christchurch (NZ East coast)


While we're there we're going to fulfill one of my 'to do before I die' things, which, predictably enough, involves my love for creatures. Yup, I get to go swimming with Dolphins! Whoo-Hoo! I have heard that Male dolphins can get a bit risque and try all sorts of nonsense, but I'm swimming with miniature dolphins, so that should take care of that. The fabulously H2O hating Fiancee has also been cajoled into the swim, so pity the poor Dolphin that tries anything.


Then off to Dunedin (South) for a few nights where we will catch up with my uncle and his partner (and their knowledge of good local vegan restaurants) and watch the admittedly pathetic but kind of quaint Dunedin New Year's fireworks (Pfft, Pfft, Zing.....show's over). The best thing about this experience is that it's so cold you need to cuddle (tres romantique) and that you can feel quite superior as an Australian/Sydneysider. Last year the locals got quite misty-eyed as I described (quietly) the magnificence, splendour and sheer duration of the Darling Harbour New Year's spectacular.

At this point we say, 'Hell, let's tick off another of Cath's 'to do before I die' thangs and head down to Invercargill (Where Scott set off for the pole) to see...


Come on -haven't you always wanted to? I am stupidly excited about this one. Granted, it's ruddy cold in Invercargill (gets to about 14 degrees in summer), but I'll be all warm on the inside.... (gush gush gush...swoon etc).




Then we drive down to Queenstown (where the lake is 97% pure), dine at the top of a mountain and have a bit of fun putting our lives in the hands of a Jet-boat company. (I've done this before and it beat bungeeing for adrenalin!). I remember being amused that they insisted on life-jackets (in a river that's about 4 m deep) whilst driving at top speed toward cliff faces and jagged rocks. At least our broken up bodies will float.





From there we travel through Haast pass to Fiordland and take a lovely cruise out into Milford sound, and visit the Glow-worm caves at Te Anau. This will be by far the most spectacular leg of the journey. I can't wait to see Brett's reactions to the extraordinary landscape! Much walking through ancient forests will be indulged in, and much oohing and aahing at Glaciers and perfect lakes mirroring snow-capped peaks.










Of course, there is much much more to the trip, but that's the general gist of the route at any rate. I do intend to take a digital camera and download tons of gorgeous snaps while we're there, so you'll get a better idea, but listen, if you've never considered NZ as a holiday destination, consider it. Not only is the plane trip short and bearable, but they have a left-wing government and a strong anti-nuclear stance (as well as one of the most untouched landscapes left on the planet). And yes, we may well look at house prices while we're there.

Kia ora.








































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































1 comment:

  1. Good lord, it took me quite the while to scroll down just to leave a comment...

    Yay! Cath is blogging again! Now to convince Brett to rejoin the legion of digital masturbators.

    Your trip to NZ sounds f'awesome, but I'll talk about it next time I see you, which will hopefully be soon, to take advantage of my week off.

    Interesting that certain words like 'money' and 'fiancee' scored a capital for their initial letter, as if they were proper nouns. Was that done to augment the importance of said words, or was there some other enigmatic reason?

    ReplyDelete