Friday, July 20, 2007

Seitan o' greatness experiment


So it's true, I am quite the shameless vegan web trawler, and I more or less consistently come across yet another vege rant about the sheer fabulousness and versatility of The Seitan o' Greatness (recipe listed in the Post Punk Kitchen). So, there's a neat little log of the stuff currently baking it's way into greatness in the oven right now! It's ridiculous how excited I am about this recipe. Brett's very fond of his meat-substitutes (especially with roast veg and gravy) so, I'm really hoping this turns out as brilliantly as I expect it will.

In amongst my searchings, I also found (on a Cycling forum of all places) a really interesting recipe for corned seitan. This will be the next experiment, as Brett lurved corned beef as a child. I am including the Seitan o' greatness recipe here, 'cos if I don't I'll be guaranteed to lose it. When I try the corned version, I'll post that too.

The pic above is of Seitan o' greatness coated in cornstarch, deep fried in sesame oil and then coated with sweet and sour sauce and sesame seeds. SOoooooo trying that too:-)


SEITAN O' GREATNESS (as posted in Post Punk Kitchen)


Ingredients:1.5 cups vital wheat gluten1/4 cup nutritional yeast1 tsp salt2 tsp paprika1/4 tsp cinnamon1/4 tsp cumin1-2 tsp pepper (I use 2 tsp)1/8 tsp cayenne pepper1/8 tsp allspice3/4 cups cold water4 tbsp tomato paste1 tbsp tamari (I edited this on 4.13.07 because I just now noticed it said ketchup all this time!)2 tbsp olive oil2 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce1-3 cloves garlic, crushed well Preheat oven to 325°.In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for several minutes.Form into a log (6-8" long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.[u]Nutritional Info[/b]The entire log has:1134 calories32g fat63g carbs158g protein


Pretty easy stuff kids. The 'dough' is really easy to handle, and as a modern woman, I actually find kneading kind of fun (on account of the fact that I don't have to do it for hours and hours every day just to keep my family in bread.


I also found a great recipe for a cashew cheddar cheese that I'm dying to try soon. So much fun to be had,- so little time!


Later:-)

6 comments:

  1. I just slobbered all over the computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked! Yay for me,-feeling so very clever right now! WE sliced it immediately and had it on sangers with tomato sauce,-fabulicious!! Unfortunately liddle Cam we're going to Sydney tonight for that play, but I promise faithfully, I'll make you sweet and sour seitan next time you're up. The taste is out of this world,-kind of spicy and comforting,-nup, no words do it justice, you'll just have to try it! (Ackshully, youcould make it yourself, it's dead simple...promise:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm this looks yummy. I might have to try this one (although I'm a little scared of deep frying to be honest!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, I only do it on very special occasions (usually when feeding a house full of skinny boys...they need fat:-) and if I have a teeny weeny little taste,....who's gonna know?:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm scared because I always either make it soggy or charcoal! But yes, tastes definitely don't count ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you should be quite chuffed with yourself miss vegetation 'cos a great deal of my 'inspiration'comes directly from your fabulous blog:-)
    I'm no chef, just a broke cook trying to come up with enough tasty vegan alternatives to keep my other half healthy and satisfied:-)

    ReplyDelete