Sunday, July 29, 2007

I did good....

Wow. I managed to have 4 guests over last night and I resisted the overwhelming compulsion to feed them. This is a HUGE step forward, believe me:-)
Tonight however, I have the guilts so have attempted a reasonably complicated seitan experiment. Corned seitan. I think I've gotten too cocky though. I left things out of the original recipe, simmered for about an hour,-got bored of that process and have now shoved the lot in a baking dish for an hour. (the recipe said I should simmer for 8 hrs....wha?...). So, I'm pretty dang sure that whatever we we up eating will not be 'corned seitan'.
I am serving it with balsamic/rice syrup glazed baby carrots, broccolini, garlic mash and white sauce though,-so if worst comes to worst we can fill up on side dishes.
I also succumbed to intense peer pressure from the Newtown Cyber Vixen and created a Facebook thingy (I think). Yet another reason not to study:)
It was lovely though to finally meet Ms Mcinley in person (and she is just as lovely as her writings suggested). I also hadn't really spent any time with Cam's big bro, so it was great to finally extend my Armstrong family a little. Andy was just the sweetest thing since sticky buns and has the most exceptionally manicured nails, and shiniest hair I've ever seen.
Big hugs and kisses also to Cam's mum who provided me with my first ever BBQ (that I didn't host) where I could eat enough to be full! -Yep, someone else actually cooked vegan for me! (and the 3 other vegans present, of course!). I am so stealing the roast potato salad idea,-it was yummilicious!

6 comments:

  1. Ooo! Looking forward to hearing about how the corned seitan turned out. I always get too impatient too (who wants to be stuck at home for 8 hours while something cooks in the oven?!?!). So far I haven't found that a slightly shorter cooking time has done a whole lot of harm (although if it isn't long enough it can be somewhat raw in the centre, ick!). Pics too please?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers! I will thank my mother from you. She's getting to be quite the proficient vegan cook, actually.

    And yes, Andy's nails are extremely manicured. I commented on them myself when we were in China, and he was amused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, here's a blog for you...

    http://yeahthatveganshit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, well it was a bit raw in the cetre, but I sliced it into 'steaks' and popped it in the griller before serving. Also, the pickling bth reduced int a gorgeous gravy that I served with it. I'm now trying it again with the 'Seitan o' greatness' recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    ReplyDelete
  6. don ledford gmc doctor in car bomb grand theft auto 4 bikes injen cold air intake nissan maxima car hire from menorca

    ReplyDelete