Tuesday, August 28, 2007

0 Weddings..


That was one fantastic funeral! I'm still giggling:-). Now, before anyone attacks me for my terrible lack of propriety or sense of occasion, -Mopsi herself insisted on everyone having a good time! Some beautiful words were spoken by friends of the Mops. A venerable poet conjured up the 60's in Darlinghurst and the Cross, an ex-student sang a poignant and funny song about friendship and the importance of drinking into the wee hours, Shereen Hennessy drew an evocative and moving picture of Mopsi the teacher in the 3 Stage years, andthe service finished with Gail asking everyone to Dance out of the chapel. Now, I have always hated audience participation (when I'm in an audience), But Brett and I kind of linked up and shuffled (sorta) rhythmically towards the entrance. Both of us had large melons lodged in our throats and were studiously avoiding looking at each other or anyone else in case the optical faucets kicked in. -I know it's OK to cry at funerals but once I start...


Then the single most fabulous thing I have ever seen occurred;

Directly in front of us was a sweet little old lady, bent almost double with a cane, floral print dress and neat little handbag. She was making her unsteady way towardss the doors when she stopped, grabbed a pew for support, hoisted the floral print dress and waved one spindly pin about in a true 'Can-Can' high kick and leg twirl.

Floral print dress was smoothed, cane retrieved and her old-lady progress towards the doors resumed.

I laughed and laughed and laughed! There, at the end of the funeral, Brett and I clutched each other in the chapel, just about wetting ourselves.

Somewhere up there, I can just feel Mopsi grinning.
(photo by Dave.B. shot during 'Droughtbreaker' rehearsals at the Paramatta Riverside Theatre)




No comments:

Post a Comment