Saturday, July 5, 2008

Coccyx stuff sucks

I tripped on my floor rug, put my head though the wall and damaged my coccyx on Friday night. I didn't feel much at the time but yesterday the pain kicked in with a vengeance. Trouble walking, sitting, lying down comfortably, and of course alot of trouble doing anything at all useful. Note to everyone; Do not damage your coccyx. There's nothing you can do but dose up on painkillers, stool-softeners (sorry to be gross, but that's yet another joyous complication) and rest. I am notoriously bad at 'resting'. Indolence is one of my greatest fears. I have managed, gingerly to sit at the computer with lots of cushions and the coccyx well out of contact with any hard surface.
I'm supposed to be teaching drama workshops in 2 days too. I will be very very disappointed if I'm not mobile enough to do that. At the moment though I can't walk around the house without pain, let alone lead drama workshops and walk to and from various stations (and negotiate the stairs that will inevitably be involved).
What I can do is share the recipe for the lovely soup I made a few days ago;

CORN & POTATO CHOWDER
1 large brown onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp nuttelex
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 tsp cracked black pepper
4 tsp Vegeta seasoning
4 tbsp massel chicken stock
1 tsp mixed herbs
4 medium white potatoes cubed
4 ears of corn, shucked and kernelled.
1/2 cup savoury yeast flakes
1 tbsp cornflour in 5 tbsp water (paste)
1/3 cup pearl barley

Simple method, just fry off onion, garlic and spices in oil and butter, add the rest with about 10 cups of water and boil and a rolling boil for about 1 hr. Serve with crusty bread and fresh parsley finely chopped and mixed through just before serving. For a creamier chowder add either 3 tbsp Toffutti cream cheese, or 1/2 cup full-fat soy milk (don't boil soy-milk though,-it will curdle).

I also added 2 tsp chilli flakes 'cos I like things to have a little bit of 'bite' but these are optional.

In other news, the wonderful Cybervixen bought me 'The Veganomicon' for my birthday. As soon as I can walk, bend, balance, I will be cooking up a storm! Very taken with the chick-pea cutlets that are a mixture of chick-peas and seitan, and the sweet n' spicy barbecue tofu. There's also a recipe for a vanilla pound cake (one of my all-time favourite cakes) that I'm BUSTING to try (especially as I have vegan custard mix in the cupboard). I crave warm pound cake and custard...and sooky girly movies...and salty things. I would also like to be entirely well by tomorrow so that I can do these workshops.



2 comments:

  1. Oh gawd. I just remembered your birthday is five days before He Who Must Not Be Named, June 15th! And I forgot! I'm so sorry.

    I'll have to cook something amazing for you next Sunday (which I am looking forward to with great excitement. I'm so weak and vulnerable I can't go three weeks without missing Burrafolk).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burrafolk...tee hee, and why do remember Voldemort's birthday anyway?..:-) I'm looking forward to next sunday too. Let's hope Mr hasn't booked anything in the meantime....and wish me luch with my little tail...'tis ouch.

    ReplyDelete