Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Beans, beans the magical fruit....

OK, not a fruit.

Tonight's menu features the amazing Kidney Bean. I always buy italian canned beans as they have a far richer red colour, and this, for some reason, seems an important thing to me. I am one who eats with her eyes.

Nachos is a very good way to eat Kidney Beans. I make a chilli with kitchen-sink ingredients (i.e. everything but), buy some good organic corn chips and whip up a simple Guaca to top it off. I don't usually bother with vegan cheese or cheese sauce, 'cos frankly, I can't be stuffed.
le humble Kidney Bean (1 cup) provides you with 177% RDI of molybdenum (lovely little molecule that helps to detocify sulfites), 57.3% RDI folate, 56.3% RDI dietary fibre, as well as manganese, iron, protein, phosphorus, copper, magnesium, potassium, thiamin and Vitamin K.
If you're confused by all this nutrirional hoo-hah, I'll break it down for you; Folate makes you green and leafy, iron makes you into an iron-man, protein is very very good for you, phosphorus makes you glow in the dark, copper makes lovely bracelets and pots, magnesium is available at health-food stores in little pills, potassium is also found in bananas, thiamin is in nutri-grain and Vitmain K is the creative-letter vitamin that they created when they got sick of naming them all B-something or other. You can get all these marvellous benefits from eating my nachos. If I'm in a good mood, you may also avoid gaining 300kgs.
Nachos are also a very very fine meal idea for , let's say, General medical interns in towns west of Lithgow. Put in lots of Chilli though. It ain't nachos if you don't sweat.





3 comments:

  1. These recipes might also be good for writers in submarines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. Chilli is very necessary in sub-zero environs, though it may be difficult to source a ripe avocado...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah! On recipe overload! I'll have to make a few trips to Woolies...

    ReplyDelete