Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thai Food and School Staffrooms

Lydgate's off to Bathurst for a few months, so last night (being our last available opportunity to see him before the grand exodus) we had to try and get together. This was made tricky by the fact that Mr had to stay back at school til 9pm to co-ordinate the evening college. Never one to be beaten by circumstance, I ordered my Lydgate Limo for 5.30pm. It arrived very punctually and came equipped with stereo. This was necessary as i had an overwhelming need to sing Voulez vous couchez avec moi loudly for a few minutes. We solved various problems and then hopped out at Ping Kun Thai restaurant Emu Plains for sustenance. The Lydgate Limo also comes with generous Chauffer who immediately procured magical wallet and pressed crisp bills into my hand and left the ordering up to me.


Food procured, we drive through scary scary land to Mr's school. Cold people huddle outside cars and in the courtyard waiting for Thai Cooking, Computing for beginners and Yoga. We find Mr and spread out our meal on the English Staffroom table. I have had dinner in some odd places, but this one was truly memorable. Eating under cold school lights surrounded by educational materials may be the answer dieters have been looking for all along. The food was to its usual high standard but I was suddenly not very hungry. I also had a bizarre fear of swearing. Lydgate did the washing up and I busied myself cleaning up Mr's desk (it looks like his bedroom, but without the piles of dirty clothes...)
Lydgate and I promptly transformed into naughty teenagers and set about exploring the dark school and playing with a confiscated slinky in the stairwells. Mr proudly showed us his Drama room (v. impressive indeed) and the night was at an end.
To top everything off I settled down with Ms Greer and her politics of human fertility...bit of light bed-time reading.
Today I am a bear. I need to hibernate. I am annoyed that I had to wake up at all. I'm even more annoyed that I have 6 hours of straight teaching to get through without a break this afternoon. The old body feels quite odd,-reminiscent of my fun Glandular fever experience a few years back. Just procuring breakfast this morning made me want to crawl back into my nest to recover. However, as one has no choice in such matters, one will ingest serious caffeine and soldier through. Isn't it school holidays yet?
I also have to face my kitchen and clean 2 days detritus and prepare something or other for Mr's dinner. Even peeling spuds seems like a serious undertaking today. Big Sigh. Straighten back (and resolve) and get on with it woman.









No comments:

Post a Comment