Sunday, April 27, 2008

The holidays that were...


OK. Term starts up again tomorrow and quite frankly, I'm still well and truly in 'holiday mode'. There was the wedding, the farm trip, catching up with friends, finishing units of study, surprise saffron milk caps and far too many theatrical and musical events that I still didn't have time to get to! A small amount of gardening was done, but my dreams of enough $$ in the 'wishing well' to plant out a spring bulb bed did not materialize. Instead I have new sugarloaf cabbages, leeks and some new pansies.

Someone left a novel called 'Veronica' wrapped in a plastic bag outside my letter box. It was inscribed 'To a dear daughter from an absent mum, happy belated Christmas". No name, no address, no possible clue as to who I could return it to...So I read it. Very depressing in the manner of morbid self-examination. Am sorry I dipped into this anonymous family saga. Am getting the feeling that these are people dipped in various murks. I bought a complete works of Austen for the holidays but didn't read anything of it. I should have.

So, another term begins, another 10 weeks of trying to convince children that practising can actually help them progress, another 10 weeks of getting nowhere. Oh well, I've had the champagne and roses for two weeks, I guess I am due a dose of prosaic reality.




2 comments:

  1. Sigh... I hate the transitory feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hate the 'have to work for a living' feeling=P Oh well, someday I will do well-paid extreme left vegan lecture tours and hae 10 months a year off....:-)

    ReplyDelete