Thursday, April 17, 2008

Saffron milk caps


Are these Saffron millk caps? There are an abundance of them beneath my pine trees in the backyard. If they are, I'm making the best damn stroganoff known to mankind. An Estonian friend of ours served these (I think) up to me a few years ago and they were the most amazing mushrooms I had ever tasted. She simply added butter, garlic, red wine, salt and sour cream (I would use the Toffuti version of course). Mr is very suspicious. He insists that I eat them first as he's the only one with a license to drive the poisoned individual to hospital...tres romantique.

My friend (Tiiu Reissar) used to go picking in the Oberon state pine forests every autumn. From the reserach I've done so far, it seems that these are the culprits. However, being on the naturally cautious side, I will take some down to the markets this weekend for analysis. It is bad form to die one week after ones wedding I believe.

I should add that when I cut the caps they bleed a definitive orange latex and are slimy to the touch (it has been raining for a week). Ooooh, I'm so excited! Even if I can't cook the little buggers, they look gorgeous poking up under the pines.
Will upload further shots tomorrow for identification. Camera batteries died. So sad,-the twins are dead. They died on the job. R.I.P




2 comments:

  1. And yet still nothing about my revoltingly materialistic impulse purchase...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes..erm...so impressive and wonderful. Am dying to hear more zombie screams and stuff.. (cough), you are da man and hae lots of $$ to spend on stuff...go you...yeah!!!!

    ReplyDelete