Monday, September 17, 2007

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda

Was this silly?
I had $30 spare dollars. Three main choices to 'treat' myself.
Choice No 1. African daisies to make my front yard (rented) prettier.


Choice No.2. A nice new pair of slip-ons to make my feet prettier

Choice No.3. A nice new bottle of vodka to make my world-view prettier (at least momentarily)

I bought the daisies. I am now considering that it was probably a foolish decision as I don't actually own the property (so I have effectively given a $30 gift to my landlord).
My old slip-ons have actually fallen apart.
I really could have used a drink tonight after a full teaching load.
I astonish me with my silliness.
The daisies look extremely pretty and sunny though. They also urged me to go out and buy them some more friends. 2 different colours under each plum tree was their helpful suggestion.
The slip-ons seem further and further away by the minute.







6 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is the extras that are essential. A small tilt towards frivolity can bring disproportionate joy. I say if you've only got $10 left buy a cocktail and go down in style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. A Vodka vote...-KNEW I shoulda done that:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, that's ridiculous - you haven't given your landlord a gift, you've given yourself one - you could easily spend $15 on a bunch of flowers that would wilt in days.
    Besides, are you really saying that beauty has no value unless it is permanently yours?
    And will the flowers not outlive the vodka-hangover?
    And have you not heard the Japanese aphorism "rice with one yen, with the other, a white hyacinth"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol McKinley:-) No, I hadn't heard that particular aphorism:-) You're right of course,-I am a big believer in making the world a more beautiful place as altruistically as posible. (Many landlords have hundreds and hundreds of my dollars in the form of roses, a new wisteria, a may bush, spring bulbs, vege gardens etc). I will never change. Miser about everything else, Spendthrift on gardens:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was voting for the flowers, just in a rambling sort of manner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! My family left my landlord a little front garden overgrown with roses and lavender, and they ripped it out and replaced it with a bed of gravel.

    They also painted the wooden fence bomb-shelter grey

    ReplyDelete