Tuesday, September 2, 2008

There's a salad in my garden dear liza...


I can't believe I didn't know that sweet violet leaves, when young, are edible in salads. Apparently flowers and leaves are also useful for bronchial and lung complaints. This is very good news indeed as my garden is overrun with 'em:-) A wave of scent hits me every time I go out the back door.
In other news I have many surprise daffodils flowering, tulips in the front garden, shallotts, garlic and broad beans sprouting nicely and the dreaded Yarrow creeping forth from its winter dormancy. No sign of life from the potato bed yet, but will give it another couple of weeks before I give up on it entirely.
A student gave me a bucket of soil last week with a 'surprise' edible garden within. It is packed with vegetable seeds...now I just need somewhere to plant them out....Mr?
Steadily edging towards the end of term and desperately looking forward to it. A whole week at Caloola with no computer, no mobile and no work. Just books and fires, and walks and cards and silly word games and sleep-ins and hearty feasts with local produce brimming at my table. Vineyards will be visited en route and good wine bought liberally. Lydgate and Mr will amuse me and themselves. Before that, end of term open classes and four days of holiday workshops to be endured. I can do it. I have Berocca.




4 comments:

  1. I am avidly, AVIDLY looking forward to visiting this fabled Caloola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you absolutely certain that you have the time off work? It's the 4th-11th Oct that we're booked in for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have both school holiday weeks off, and the weeks before and after holidays off as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ecksalent. We gonna hv soooo mch fun n gd X!!

    ReplyDelete