Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Something old, something new...

It's been a busy and crazy couple of days. After a lovely family lunch on sunday, Mr and I dropped by Lincraft on our way home to pick up 'a few things'. $240 later we were holed up in the cottage planning wondrous things (including the spending of similar amounts in the near future).

We met our new niece Amaya at the lunch and this sparked three new projects.

Rainbow quilts for Charlie, Amaya and the Tiger-Muffin. I've been busy cutting strips all day and now have an almost complete first quilt. This set me to thinking though that Elissa could do with a nice quilt too, but as she's getting on (could be three sometime soon:-) she may need a slightly 'older' quilt. I'm going to do her a colour wash in 'Blush and Bashful' (pink and pink), with a more 'antique' feel. All this has come about (by the way) because I've finally learned how to use a sewing machine. This is no small thing. I've been frightened of them since a brief and stunted effort in Home Economics in year 7. Bless Mr for his patience and belief that I can master anything at all.


I've also begun to make inroads on Mums 'colour-wash quilt', some rows are sewn, but (surprise, surprise) I need to buy more fabric. My Greens are woefully inadequate. Then there's the 'Browns' corner and the 'reds' corner....(sigh) I think we're off to the fabric Mecca that is Cabrammata on Saturday to remedy this situation.

Most importantly, we've finished dad's birthday quilt! It is backed, has had studs sewn in by Mr and just needs to be wrapped and presented on March 13th. Of course, as my 'First Quilt', it has numerous and shocking faults, but was made with the best of intentions:-) I only hope dad actually likes it... Never mind, if he hates it completely I'll just make him another (in half the time, now that I'm not scared of the blinkin' sewing machine!)



Detail applique on bottom right corner



And, to put the proverbial cherry on it all, PROOF that Mr is the king of the Singer....

I'll be back soon to bore everyone further with my quilting obsession. I do promise to be obsessed with new recipes sometime in the near future too though (Lydgate, I know you're scared that your weekends will be fabric nightmares).


























No comments:

Post a Comment