Sunday, February 3, 2008

presents for good girls:-)

I was spoiled a little (a lot) yesterday. Mr had money for a change, and as usual, it began to smoulder in his pocket rather rapidly. This is not always a good thing, but if it happens to coincide with him feeling all squidgy about me then wondrous things can happen.



We popped up to Katoomba to replenish our very sad pantry and fridge and joined up with the Katoomba Food Co-Op. This shop is like Nirvana for me. I had to buy agar powder for the Vegan fetta anyway, but there's no harm in browsing is there?






By the way, agar powder is $144/kilo. This makes vegan cheeses very very special indeed. Mr's face went quite grey when he saw the price on the jar...






However, opposite the shelf with the expensive powdered stuff were the racks of seeds. My little heart all a-flutter I 'oohed' and'aahed' and generally made quite a fuss about the wondrous variety available. I was particularly excited to find Collard Greens seeds. So, I guess a tsunami-sized wave of largesse swept over Mr's brain because I got pressies!!!


Hmmm, I have no idea why that came up upside down. Computer pixies I expect. For those who don't like to read upside down we have ancient gourd, Collards champion, Long island Brussels sprouts, golden nugget pumpkin and Triamble pumpkin. This last one has me fascinated as it is described as



'Spreading variety with distinctive triangular shaped fruit and a sweet orange flesh'



I just need to see a triangular pumpkin before I die. Although I may die from over-anticipation in the mean time. At the counter a beautiful and friendly lass showed us a new book written by local mountains author Angela Stafford called (appropriately enough) http://www.wildmorsels.com/ Wild Morsels.

I was so excited by this one that I tried reading it on the car on the way home. bad idea. I got quite car-sick. But to all vegans out there, and all those that know a few of us, I highly recommend this book. It is beautifully produced, the recipes are mouth-watering and the talented Ms Stafford has illustrated throughout with the most charming sketches. The opening pages are also full of practical advice on bean prep, grain prep and other tricksy things that vegans often learn through trial and error but that seem unreasonably complicated and therefore off-putting to those trying to cook for us. When my pay-check comes in I'll be going back to buy some more copies as Christmas presents.

Mr (of course) quickly recommended that i write my own cookbook and distribute it in a similar manner. Chuckle. Gotta love his loyalty and enthusiasm. I pointed out that although my cooking is generally palatable, I rarely (if ever) follow recipes, I always make far too much food (i.e. if I say a meal serves two, you can safely bet on 5) and I don't think I have the patience to go through the process that is writing, illustrating, publishing and distributing a book. Maybe when I retire...Anyway Jamie Oliver stole my book idea (shyeah...right). I had planned a hand-written and illustrated book detailing growing-tips and gardening details as well as recipes dotted with photos from my abundant organic garden.







2 comments: